HOME

Watling Street Road, Fulwood, Preston, PR2 8EA
Tel. Preston (01772) 718741

Click here to email the church

HISTORY and the FUTURE

The Stone Laying Ceremony

29 July 1911

 

Click to enlarge the photos 

READ OUR HISTORY BOOK

1912 - 2012

Click here

Fulwood Methodist Church is nearly 100 years old, built on land at the corner of Watling Street Road and Garstang Road purchased for the sum of 855. 51s 11d. The stone laying ceremony took place on 29th July 1911 and the church was opened and dedicated on 26th September 1912 by Rev F. L Wiseman, the President of the Methodist Conference. The total estimated cost of the entire project was 5,500, a tidy sum a century ago. The original debt of 2,500.00 was cleared in 1926 and the building of the Sunday School began on 5th May 1928, at an estimated cost of 3,500. It is this building, at the heart of Fulwood, that has now been re-developed.

The church has served the community in many ways down the years. During the First World War the congregation was swelled by soldiers from Fulwood Barracks and in the Second World War mothers and children from London and Manchester were evacuated to Fulwood and came to the church. The premises were used as a day school and later on a Library was established there by Lancashire County Council. During the 1940's the Guide and Scout groups were set up. Activities for young people have always been important including Youth and Fellowship Clubs and in the sixties a Mums & Toddlers' Group began, which still thrives today, meeting every Friday morning.

 

The plans to redevelop the Hall and Sunday School were suggested by Rev Stephen Poxon in 2000 and Fund Raising began in earnest. The current Minister Rev. Peter Sheasby continued the scheme and has worked tirelessly with the development team to bring them to fruition this year at a cost of just over 1 Million.

 

There are now several different sized rooms, which will help the church develop its own activities, and also be available for use by all the community. They may be hired at very competitive rates and details are available from the Booking Secretary on 01772 716973. (see details)

 

Down the years the Church has accommodated many community groups and with the improved buildings, it is the intention to welcome many more. We have begun this with offering coffee and a warm welcome to all local residents on two mornings a week throughout the summer months and this will continue regularly on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10am - 12noon.

 

 

Written by Veronica Frost

New photos - John Butterworth

Reprinted from 'Fulwood Focus' Oct / Nov 2010

 

HOME